Core: This past month on Sunday, December 6th, Obama gave a speech in his oval office (cue the American eagle flying, cawing to the tune of the national anthem) about recent terrorist attacks in San Bernardino and what the government plans to do in the future. What our writers got from the speech:
· The gov’t will continue working with our allies by tracking down terrorist threats in any and all countries.
· The gov’t will continue to provide training and weapons to Iraqis and Syrians fighting ISIS on the ground.
· The gov’t will stop the recruitment of new soldiers for ISIS (ahem, how?), and disrupt their flow of finances.
· The gov’t will try to help Syrians solve their political crisis and end their civil war (hate to be redundant, but again, how?… seems a little rough over there…).
· America as a people needs to band together, not villainize Islam.
· There are several steps Congress could take, like gun control, that Obama would really, really, really like them to. (outlined here).
Food for Thought: Our writers noticed that Obama’s favorite word was “exceptional,” in reference to America. Do you think this plan appears exceptional? Same-old story? Downright dumb? Tells us what you think.
Think we missed something? Tell us in the comments.